When industrial prospects in the 1990s raised questions about communication infrastructure plans in Jackson, the Jackson Utility Division realized communication companies had no major plans for Jackson. JUD and the City of Jackson committed then to enter telecommunications and invest in Jackson’s economic future.
In 1997 JUD and other municipalities pushed legislation to the TN General Assembly to allow municipal electric systems to enter telecommunications. That legislation passage transformed the Jackson Utility Division into the Jackson Energy Authority.
EPlus Broadband: The Jackson Energy Authority telecommunications network.
Jackson Energy Authority invested $80 million in building Tennessee’s first, state-of-the-art, community-owned fiber-to-the-home network. The telecommunications network, called EPlus Broadband, launched in 2004.
Jackson Energy Authority also launched EPlusTV 6, 206HD, a company-produced local access channel committed to Jackson coverage.
Cutting Edge, Dependable Technology
Jackson Energy Authority invested in point-to-point fiber infrastructure to “future proof” Jackson. With unsurpassed bandwidth capacity, EPlus Broadband is prepared for any future bandwidth demands.
EPlus Broadband Firsts:
- Tennessee’s first Fiber-to-the-Home System.
- Tennessee’s first publicly owned utility to deliver three services (cable TV, Internet, telephone) across one fiber network with a single bill.
- First service in Jackson to offer High Definition (HD) programming and (DVR) digital video recording.
- First Jackson service to offer 6 Mbps residential service (2004) and to expand through 10 Mbps, 25 Mbps, to 75 Mbps and then to next-generation 1 Gbps.
EPlus Broadband Local and National Recognition:
- Member of the Fiber Broadband Association, Tennessee Fiber Optic Communities, and U. S. Ignite.
- 12 years (2008-2019) Jackson Sun Readers’ Choice Winner in varied categories including: Best Cable TV, Best Internet Provider, Best Telephone Service.
- 2017 Independent Project Launch of the Year, the CFX CableFax Top OPS Award.
- 2016 US Ignite Designated Smart Gigabit Community.
- 2013 Fiber to the Home Council Chairman’s Award.
- 2007 Utilities Telecom Council Apex Award – Excellence and Innovation in Communications for the Public Good.
- 2005 Best Public Utility Fiber Network by Broadband Properties.